Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Somewhere in Nigeria


Abuja, Nigeria
I've been in Nigeria for two weeks now, and every smell, taste, sight 
and sound is so new and different that it feels like I have been away for a lifetime. 

Because I've experienced so much,  I don't know how to put it all into words. Luckily, I've been documenting every moment and sticking my camera in locals  faces to see what they have to say about Nigeria. When my documentary is completed you will then get a full feel of the Nigeria I have been introduced to. For now, here are some photos along with a little taste of what I've learned and experienced so far. 

If you have any questions for me about my trip so far or about Nigeria in general LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW I will do a Q&A blog post next! 

Lagos, Nigeria


My first Impression of Nigeria was was "wow, everyone here is black!" Your thinking, well duh it's Africa, but please remember coming from America, a  place where I am the minority, seeing so many people of color on the streets, on magazines,  on billboards, on TV...I was like...hallelujah! 

Ibadon, Nigeria

 
There are big issues here, not going to lie. Electricity is unreliable. You have to keep doors locks and valuables secure or else people may steel them. Corruption is rampant; police men act like glorified beggars  and will pull you over only to ask for money. You can't trust water form a tap. The rich live in massive houses and the poor live in shacks and beg for money; there is virtually no middle class. 

Abuja, Nigeria

The beauty in the wahala ( the craziness) is the people, sights, and future of Nigeria. The beauty is in the landscapes of giant hills and rock that stretch on forever and in the way the sun sets quickly and the heat stays through the night. The beauty is in the way people, motorcycles, and cars intermingle in the street. The tightly packed, narrow city streets lined with tiny shops, cars exercising through traffic, Volkswagen buses filled with travelers, mothers caring babies strapped to their backs, men selling peanuts from a basket on their heads. The beauty is in the way Nigerians care for the ones they value and treat each other with up most respect. The beauty is in Nigeria's future, it's in how much opportunity and progress and change that is on the brink of happening. 

XOXO  SUMMER :) For more pictures follow me on Instagram @savainfinite


If you have any questions for me about my trip so far or Nigeria in general...
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! 

4 comments:

  1. What's the most unexpected thing you have encountered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm guessing they have internet in Africa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice meeting you the other day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're enjoying Nigeria so far despite the chaos! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES FROM pipdig