Thursday, January 23, 2014

Beyoncé and Chimamanda: Tell’em Ladies!

While all of us were writing our new years resolutions Beyoncé and Chimamanda Adichie were already checking 10 things off of their lists. Beyonce dropped her visual album Beyoncé that has exploded into outer space since it’s release this month.  One of the songs featured striking words for women all over the world.  by author Chimamanda Adichie!



I'm sure you already know a few of Betonce's new songs such as “Pretty Hurts” and “Drunk in Love” ft. husband Jay-Z. But listening  to the whole album (which I have done multitudinously), what I’m liking the messages of empowerment  many of the songs have. As you know  I have become a die hard feminists over the past few months so I highly approve!

***Check out my documentary Women in the World of Media , results of competition coming soon!***

Anyways, back to the facts.  As  provocative  and risqué  as some may say  Beyoncé's new album is, I think she did an inspiring job at speaking her truth about feminism and sending an empowering message to women. One of these powerful songs is  “***Flawless” which will have you saying "BOW DOWN BITCHES" Here's a preview...


YES!!!! "Flawless" features rousing words about feminism by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nigerian author of Half of a Yellow Sun and Americanah! REPRSENTING NAIJA! Here are her words...

“We teach girls to shrink themselves,
to make themselves smaller.
We say to girls,
‘You can have ambition,
but not too much.
You should aim to be successful,
but not too successful.
Otherwise you will threaten the man.’
Because I am female,
I am expected to aspire to marriage.
I am expected to make my life choices
always keeping in mind that
marriage is the most important.
Now marriage can be a source of
joy and love and mutual support.
But why do we teach to aspire to marriage
and we don’t teach boys the same?
We raise girls to see each other as competitors –
not for jobs or for accomplishments,
which I think can be a good thing,
but for the attention of men.
We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings
in the way that boys are.
Feminist: the person who believes in the social,
political and economic equality of the sexes.”

Click Here to view Adichies's talk titled “We should all be feminists.”  .

WE FLAWLESS, LADIES TELL’EM!

2 comments:

  1. I love the image. It feels good and empowring... Girl Power... not a cliche... I really mean it.. it feels empowering....lets go ladies!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES FROM pipdig