Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Loss of a Phenomenal Woman


Phenomenal Woman

On May 28th 2014 the world lost a beautiful and phenomenal woman. 
With the strength of her words and the depth of her voice Maya Angelou changed the world. 

I feel as if I have lost a mother; her work spoke to me like no other author had. I read her book "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" in 8th grade. I recited "I Know Why The Bird Caged Sings" (the poem)  and placed the text on the last page of my middle school scrap book. In my freshman year of high school I recited "Still I Rise" for a local celebration of black history. I still know all the words today...

"You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise." 
~ my favorite line from "Still I Rise" 

When I became a self proclaimed activist for the feminist movement, who was there at the door with her words... 

"I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me."
~ From poem "Phenomenal Woman"

Today I am listening to an old interview Maya Angelou had with Terry Gross. Her resonant voice reverberates through me. At the moment I feel sad, but I also feel sense of contentment as I feel energy and love from her even though she is gone.

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."

Maya Angelou: A remarkable individual, a phenomenal woman, a spirited writer. She is a light in my heart and a voice in my mind. She will always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES FROM pipdig